Monday 16 March 2009

Books and Bikes

I think I said in one of the previous posts about how two people rang about job interviews in the couple of days after I started working at Storey Electrical. Well, I forgot about it the other day, but the first day I was at Aus Post, madly sorting letters, someone rang and asked if I was still looking for work. Seriously. I hate it when that happens. Oh well. Speaking of work though, I have to go to Brisbane next month for some motor cycle training. Then soon after that I will be riding around Kingaroy learning some mail runs so if someone's sick I can fill in. That should be pretty cool.

Now, according to the experts the best way to get kids interested in reading is to have books around and be seen reading books. Kel, Bayli and I have proven this to be correct. We've always wanted to read to Bayli. We did it occasionally when she was little (littler than she is now) but it's a lot of work when they have an attention span of about 2 seconds then just start squirming and crying and tearing pages or... whatever. So we never did it all that much. But now... When Bayli goes to her toy box, more often than not a book is the first thing she pulls out. And she's started holding books out and whining until someone reads it for her. We were visiting Josh and Leanne the other day and they had some toys out for her. So of course, Bayli grabbed the only book and took it to Leanne (who she's seen about 3 times in her entire life) for her to read. Leanne started reading several times before getting caught up in the adult conversation... And each time Bayli took the book off her and gave it back so she could start again. It was great.

Of course it sucks that if Kel or I sit down with a book to read for five minutes, Bayli has to immediately forget what she was doing and come read with us... Arghhh... Oh well, shouldn't complain. I think I'd be devestated if she didn't like books and reading.

No comments: