Monday 14 July 2008

Shinging Armour

We went to the Abbey Medieval Festival on Sunday.

We headed for my parents place in Woodford on Saturday, even though they weren't at home. We got there about 1, settled in, had some lunch, fed the munchkin and were about to head off to do some shopping at Morayfield when we heard voices.

"Lo," quoth I, "is that voices I hear?"

Kelly confirmed that it was so. "Yea."

"That doth sound like my Pa," quoth I, again.

And it did. And low and behold there he was, standing at the back door. Seems that, seeing my mother was actually sick they decided to cut their holiday short and rushed home. It was too late by that stage to cancel the wild party Kel and I had planned, but more on that later.

Anyways, we went shopping and that was exciting.

The next day it was off to the festival. It looked like rain, but that didn't eventuate, thankfully. At least not until we were on our way out the gate (near which we bough a box ful of strawberries. Mmmm, strawberries.)

So anyway, we spent the day wondering the stall, watching some sword fights and
dancing and whatnot. It was great, as usual. Though, as usual, would be much better if I could afford to spend hundreds of dollars buying stuff. All i get to do is look at swords and helms and stuff like that. Not fair. Kel would probably let me buy things but...

We met Josh, Leanne and their boys there. We didn't see them for most of the day, but I'm sure that isn't the point. Apparently Connor spent seven and a half hours (or something like that) pumping a bellows for a blacksmith and was given a hand made arrow head for his efforts. And another story circulating was that Josh was able to draw a 120lb bow (after an embarrassing failure on Saturday) and had an entire hand made arrow as a trophy. I wasn't there so I didn't see it. I have my doubts.

Bayli had a great time. She was lying in the pram for a while. Then she was sleeping. Then she was lying in the pram a bit more. She did a lot of smiling though, so I'm sure she had fun.

Afterwards, Josh and company came back to mum and dads for a slightly overcooked BBQ. The dog was terrified (after being tied up for most of the rest of the day), but apart from her, I think everyone had a good day.

NB: Some accents may have been changed (again) to protect those without funny accents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was the blacksmith. would have connor any time as my apprentice.

glad he enjoyed it

The Robinsons said...

Cool, I'll ask him if he's after a job.